Science | Dec 04
It’s that time of year, again! If you’re like us, you still haven’t found a gift for everybody (or anybody, for that matter) and are now looking for last-minute alternatives and options. Luckily for you today we present you with 3 different easy to make homemade soap ideas that are perfect for this holiday season and can be done in just a day. These make perfect handcrafted little gifts to give to a friend, co-worker or anyone, really. Once you finish making them, you’ll realize that they look amazing either in a soap dish by the bathroom sink or stored in a decorative jar on a shelf. So put away those away those gift cards and give the gift that keeps on giving...cleanliness!
Easy, Fast Peppermint Soap Recipe:
This very easy soap recipe can be done in just a few minutes and makes for a great gift. What you need to make this recipe is:
- Shea Butter Soap Base
- Peppermint Essential Oil
- Red Soap Colorant
- Soap molds
- Microwave safe measuring cup
- Toothpick The first thing you have to do is cut the Shea Butter Soap Base into squares (any kitchen knife will do the trick, since it’s very soft and silky). Then put the squares into the Microwave-Safe Measuring Cup and heat in 30 seconds increments, stirring in-between, until completely melted. Then, add a few drops of the Peppermint Essential Oil (between 15 and 20, depending on the intensity of the fragrance) and mix well. Finally, pour the melted soap into the heavy duty mold. For a finishing touch top with a few drops of red soap colorant and use a toothpick to swirl the white and red colors together. Let cool completely before removing the bars of soap from the mold. Complete with a band of paper or ribbon and your gift is ready!
Herb and Spice Glycerin Soap Recipe:
This glycerin soap recipe makes for some stunning soaps. They’ll look amazing and still have those awesome cleaning soap properties. It’s craft soap making at its finest! What you will need is:
- Block of glycerin soap base
- Essential oils
- Dried flowers, herbs, and spices. (For example: dried hibiscus, rose petals, green tea, dried rosemary, dried juniper berries, dried lemon peel or orange peel, etc.)
- Heavy duty soap molds The first thing you’ll want to do is to cut the glycerin block into small squares, for easy melting. It can be melted in either a double boiler or on a measuring cup in the microwave. Once the soap is melted, add a few drops (20 -30) of the essential oil that you chose. Stir slowly (so as to not create bubbles). Then, arrange the herbs and spices in your soap molds and very gently pour the melted soap into the molds. Leave them for about one or two hours to solidify and completely cool. Pop them out, wrap them, and done!
Cinnamon, Orange and Clove Soap:
This recipe even lets your kitchen smelling christmas-y! It’s aromatherapy soap making! To make this third recipe you will need:
- Block of glycerin soap base
- 80 drops of Orange Essential Oil
- 30 drops of Cinnamon Leaf Essential Oil
- 15 drops of Clove Essential Oil
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- Soap Mold
- Microwave-Safe Measuring Cup Like the other two recipes, you will need to start by cutting the soap base into squares. Melt the squares in the measuring cup in the microwave, heating it up on 30-second intervals and stirring in-between (so as to avoid bubbles). Then you will need to add the essential oils and stir gently. Next, add the ground cinnamon and mix everything together. Pour the melted soap into the molds and let cool for about one to two hours. Pop them out of the mold, wrap them in a paper band or ribbon, and you’re done!
These recipes will not just leave your hands smelling fresh, but handmade gifts will be happily received by everyone because of the thought and work that you put into it. Happy Holidays to everyone!