Dryer sheets are not just nice to have on hand, they have become a necessity for most laundry rooms across the country. We have talked before about their importance when washing a load of laundry, how to use them, and, of course, the other great little hacks that everyone can use in their daily lives. However, making your own dryer sheets is both super easy and incredibly cheap! DIY dryer sheets are also incredibly eco-friendly and are free of toxic additives found in most leading-brand dryer sheets, and you can personalize them into your favorite fragrances (including, but not limited to, lavender, orange-blossom, pine-mint, or whatever other crazy combinations you might think of!).
So if you’re running a little short on dryer sheet supply (or just want to save the extra money), want an alternative to regular dryer sheets, and are feeling a little...creative, keep on reading!
Even though some homemade “recipes” for dryer sheets simply tell you to soak them in watered-down fabric softener, we’re going in another, safer, cleaner direction. Regular, toxic, fabric-softener dryer sheets just isn’t our thing.
What you’ll need:
- ½ cup or so of white vinegar
- A couple of drops from your favorite essential oils (we recommend citrus, lavender or tea tree fragrances, but it’s really up to you!)
- Sealable container (preferably a glass container)
- Fabric scraps (cotton works better when creating dryer sheets, but most fabrics will do the trick, just be careful not to throw in a red dryer sheet with your load of whites!)
- Cut your fabric into squares - 5” x 5” will do great, but you can go smaller or bigger, depending on how much fabric you have at your disposal. Remember to use pinking shears, to avoid over-damaging your dryer sheets. This will allow them to last longer and in multiple loads.
- Mix up your softener solution! - Mix about ½ cup of vinegar with 8-10 drops of the essential oil or oils that you chose for this project (for example, you can mix 6 drops of lavender and 4 of tea tree oil, or 5 drops of orange and 5 of lavender, etc).
- Pour the mixture into your glass container.
- Add your fabric squares to the glass container and let them absorb the mixture. If you want to use it right away, give that bad boy a shake!
- Congratulations, you now have homemade dryer sheets at your disposal! Just take one out of the container, wring off the excess liquid and throw it with your load into your tumble dryer, the dryer part of your washer dryer combo, or whatever machine you use to dry your clothes.
- After your load is dry, retrieve your reusable dryer sheet and place it again the glass container. There should still be some of the mixture left on it to last you for quite a couple of loads.
Vinegar acts as Mother Nature’s natural softener and as a natural static reducer. We promise your clothes won’t smell vinegar-y at all! They’ll just be softer and will smell fresher than before. Your personalized mix of essential oils will give your clothes just a touch of your personally chosen fragrance. It’s subtle, yet pleasant. So avoid the toxic chemicals, the paper waste of dryer sheets around your house, save a little money and have fun creating these dryer sheets!
(you get it?)
TRY IT NOW